The holiday cheer is starting to radiate through Folly Beach! There are lots of great activities happening in the lead up to Christmas and the New Year, so if you’re coming to visit us this December be sure to join in on some of the fun.
- All month long you can check out the Holiday Festival of Lights just a few miles away on neighboring James Island. This annual event is an absolute must-do. It’s not just for kids either; adults will enjoy the spectacular show all the same! *Tip* entry is per car (not per person) and reduced rates are offered Monday – Thursday with the donation of a non-perishable food item.
Center Street is the Center of the Action!
- Stroll down Center Street after the sun goes down to enjoy a variety of beach-themed light displays, as well as decorated Christmas trees in several locations: Folly River Park and two more on the beach (they can be found via the public accesses at 2nd East and 2nd West).
- On December 13th you can visit with Santa; he’ll be at Folly River Park starting at 6pm and handing out stockings of small gifts for children. (Last year he passed out over 300).
- Mark your calendar for the annual Folly Beach Christmas parade, commencing on Center Street at 12pm on Saturday, December 14th. This adored community event is sure to bring a smile to your face so come down and share the cheer with locals and visitors alike. Folly’s Best Rentals will be participating too so give our team a wave as we pass by! Santa will be making his second appearance over at Folly River Park immediately following the parade.
- On December 21st the annual Folliday Market will be taking place from 12pm – 5pm and the location for this year’s event is the beloved Folly Pier. Always sure to attract a fantastic variety of artisans and vendors, you can grab some last-minute gifts (for yourself too, of course) while enjoying delicious food, a fun holiday vibe, and stunning views at the same time!
- Do you want it to really feel like Christmas in your vacation rental? Head over to Folly Jolly Christmas trees located at 112 East Ashley Ave. and grab yourself a tree. Just be sure to dispose of it properly before your departure!
City Lights, City Sights
- If you have a bit of extra time on your Folly Beach vacation, it’s definitely worth taking the short drive into downtown Charleston. The charm of the historic district during the holidays is truly something special! Stroll the city streets or take a carriage ride for an added bit of history accompanying the beautiful holiday decorations.
Ring in the New Year Folly-Style
- Rounding out the month, the Flip Flop Drop will once again take place on December 31st. This uniquely-Folly take on New Year’s Eve is indeed as the name implies; a giant pair of oversized flip-flops adorned in LED lights make a descent from high above to ring in the New Year on the island. There is a fireworks display on the beach immediately afterward, as well as a ton of live music and food / drink specials at all of the local restaurants and bars.
- And finally, we can’t forget the Polar Bear Plunge and Costume Contest on January 1st. What better way to start the New Year than with an exhilarating dip into the Atlantic Ocean? Oh, how about if you take the dip while dressed up like our favorite Lowcountry celebrity; Bill Murray? This is an annual Folly tradition you simply must experience for yourself.
We look forward to seeing you this holiday season!